What to do with
Ash (coal & wood)
Wood ash is recyclable with your garden waste but coal ash should be put in your general waste bin.
How can I dispose of it?
Wood ash can be:
- Put it in your household garden waste collections (if this service is offered in your area)
- Taken to the recycling centre and recycled with garden waste
- Added to your home composting bin
- Used as a soil fertiliser
Ash from coal or anthracite:
- Put in your general waste bin since it has little or no nutritional benefit and is potentially harmful to soil, plants and consumers of edible produce
Note: Always let the ash cool down before placing in any bin.
You can find more information on using wood ash in your garden from The Royal Horticultural Society.