What to do with
Tiles (floor and wall)
Floor and wall tiles are not collected as part of your councils household recycling scheme; however you can usually take them to your local household waste and recycling centre.
If you have tiles leftover from a project or have managed to remove your old tiles without breaking them, consider the following options:
Pass them on...
- Go online to sites like Freecycle and Freegle to give it away for free
- Try advertising your surplus building materials online at sites such as eBay or Gumtree
- Ask family and friends if they would like them for a project they might have
- Check locally - a community project near you may have a use for them
- Advertise in local papers, shop windows or on community noticeboards
The Construction Material Exchange
Resource Efficient Scotland have launched an online re-use tool for the construction sector to support the exchange of materials. By finding new customers for unwanted materials, waste can be diverted from landfill and expensive disposal charges reduced.
- You will need to provide your own transport. Contact the recycling centre to find out the opening hours which can vary for cars and vans
- If you are taking the tiles in a van, check with the recycling centre whether you need any permission or ID to do so